Areas of Expertise:
- Real Estate Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Foreclosure Litigation (Lender)
- Lender Defense
- Condemnation Litigation
- Complex Civil Litigation
- Probate Litigation
- Mineral Law
AV rating Martindale-Hubbell
- LL.M., in Litigation, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, 1986.
- J.D., University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, Alabama, 1983. PAD
- B.S.B.A., (Marketing/Finance) Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama, 1980, (with honors) (SGA, Senator, Phi Eta Sigma, Lamda Sigma, Squires).
- FEDERAL United States Supreme Court, United States Circuit Court for the 11th Circuit (Atlanta, Georgia), United States Circuit Court for the 4th Circuit (Richmond, Virginia), United States District Courts, Northern & Middle District of Georgia, Southern District of West Virginia, United States Tax Court.
- GEORGIA Georgia Supreme Court and Court of Appeals.
- VIRGINIA Virginia Supreme Court and Circuit Courts.
- WEST VIRGINIA Supreme Court of Appeals and Circuit Courts.
FOCUS OF PRACTICE
- In 2005, the firm settled tax claims associated with commercial property exceeding 30 million dollars of property value..
- In 2004, the firm settled tax claims associated with commercial property exceeding 200 million dollars of property value
- In 2002, (and again in 2003) the firm obtained a multi-million dollar mineral law judgment.
- In 1998, the firm resolved one of the largest multi-million dollar prefiling personal injury settlements in Georgia.
- 1995, the firm completed the then largest partition of real property in Georgia — 7,000 acres.
Real Estate Disputes
- Complex Civil Litigation
- Lender Defense; Foreclosure Defense
- Partition of Lands, Co-Tenancy, Co-Ownership and Boundary Disputes.
- General Contractor defense concerning shopping center buildout in: Georgia, Maryland, Florida, California, Missouri and Minnesota.
- Foreclosure Disputes.
- Condemnation Litigation for the Georgia Power Company.
- Representation of Landowners in Condemnation Disputes
- Landlord Representation
- Title Defects and Disputes, Restrictive Covenant Disputes
- Commercial and Residential Evictions
- Mineral Law, Opinions, Representation
- Trespass, Water & Flooding Problems and Conversion of Property
- Active Georgia Real Estate License.
- Will and Trust Litigation.
- Probate and Estate Administration.
- Probate and Estate Litigation.
- Caveat Litigation.
- Extensive Mineral Representation in Georgia.
- Extensive Knowledge of Marble, Kaolin, and Aggregates in Georgia.
- Extensive Representation of Landowners Concerning the Subsurface Partition of Mineral Lands.
- President, Real Estate Section, Atlanta Bar, 2002, Vice President, 2001, Treasurer, 2000; (Member at Large, 1998-1999); Member Real Estate Section State Bar of Georgia, Real Estate Section Atlanta Bar and Litigation Section of the Atlanta Bar.
- Commissioner to Sell Real Property per Court Order, Appointed by Superior Court of Fulton County
- Fiduciary Law Section of the Georgia State Bar.
- Represented Landowners in the largest court supervised partition of Real Estate in Georgia history — 7,000 acres. Obtained and Managed valuations on the subsurface minerals, fee simple surface and timber rights on 7,000 acres.
- Editor, Georgia Law Monitor, an online publication dedicated to monitoring issues on appeal before the Georgia Supreme Court in the areas of real estate ownership, management, transactions and property taxation.
- Avoiding Civil And Criminal Involvement for Real Estate Appraisers. NBI, April 2004. Atlanta, Georgia.
- Foreclosure Law: Current Legal Issues; Presented to the Georgia Real Property Law Institute, Ameila Island Plantation, Florida. May 9-11, 2002
- City Attorney, City of Lithonia. (2001 to 2003)
- 2004 Resolved property tax claims in excess of 50 Million Dollars.
- 2003 Managed successful annexation of DeKalb County property into the corporate limits of the City of Lithonia.
- American Trial Lawyers Association (ATLA)
- Presiding Judge and Evaluator, Georgia Mock Trial Competition. (1998 – 2001).
- Hugh C. Wood, “Recent ‘Pro Se’ Ruling Affects Most Courts,” Fulton County Daily Reporter, March 27, 1997.
- Co-Chair, Author and Lecturer, Abusive Litigation, ICLE, February 1997, Atlanta, GA; Author and Lecturer, Abusive Litigation, ICLE, February 2002 and February 2003. Presentation of: Rule 11: Landmines for Lawyers in the 11th Circuit. 2003 Rule 11 Update.
- Author, Update on Eckles: Major Changes in “Pro Se” Representation, The Litigator, May 1997.
Author, Metro Probate: Navigating the Jurisdictional Maze, The Litigator, November, 1996.
- Author and Lecturer, 1996 Annual Start to Finish Seminar, “How to Get Around Defendant’s Refusal to Turnover Requested Documents,” GTLA, Atlanta, 1996.
- Co-Author, Residential and Commercial Evictions in Georgia, NBI, Eau Claire, Wisconsin, (1998); CLE, Atlanta, 1998. (Co-Authors: James A. Gober, Arnall, Golden & Gregory, Atlanta, GA; John J. Wiles, Wiles & Wiles, Marietta, GA).
- Author and Lecturer, Handling Problem Tenants and Evictions in Georgia, NBI, Eau Claire, Wisconsin, (1996); CLE, Atlanta, 1996.
- Author and Lecturer, Unintended Mischief: The New Workers Compensation Assignment Statute O.C.G.A. § 34-9-11.1, Ga State Bar Journal, Spring 1995. See, 47 Mercer L. Rev. 405.
- General Counsel, (GFYRC), Georgia Republican Party, 1993 – 1996.
- Co-Author, Textbook, Advanced Trial Problems and Case File, 1st Ed, (NITA, 1988). ISBN 1-55681-121-7.
- Author and Lecturer, Worker’s Compensation for the GP, (Atlanta and Savannah, April 1995) (Lectured on the Statute of Limitation Effects of O.C.G.A. § 34-9-11.1).
- Represented Clients in the first case to apply the offensive use of collateral estoppel in a wrongful death action, Winding River, et al. v. Barnett, 218 Ga. App. 35, 459 S.E.2d 569 (1995), cert. denied.
- Counsel, Co-Counsel or Appellate Counsel on many major cases cited in Georgia with regard to the interpretation of partition of real property, O.C.G.A. § 44-6-166.1.
- Litigation occurs on an event by event basis in the economic life of clients. Litigation representation now, or in the past, has been provided to:
- • Chase Manhattan Bank
- • JPMorgan Chase
- • NationsBank Trust
- • Bank of America
- • BankBoston Mortgage
- • Fannie Mae
- • GE Capital Mortgage
- • Georgia Power Company (Transmission and Condemnation)• Washington Mutual, Inc.
• Homeside Lending
CIVIC AND PERSONAL
- Board of Directors: Northlake Commons (1994 – 2004).
- 2000 Atlanta Half Marathon
- Intern, Hon. Edward Johnson (1986).
Notice: Disclaimer of Attorney Client Relationship by mere use of this website. The mere reading or accessing this website does not create an attorney client relationship. Emailing the firm or using the legal forms posted does not constitute and create an attorney client relationship. If you would like to inquire about possible legal representation, please be aware that we cannot represent you until we know that doing so will not create a conflict of interest for you or our present clients. If you wish to initiate an attorney client relationship, we need the opportunity to conduct a conflict search, review your case and materials and, if appropriate in your situation, complete an engagement letter. Additionally, any information presented on this site is the opinion of the author and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of Wood & Meredith, LLP. These articles posted are not intended to provide specific legal or tax advice, but are intended only to generally familiarize the reader with the subject matter. Matters of specific legal or tax nature should be discussed with a competent attorney or tax professional specializing in that particular field or practice. All use of this website is subject to the Contract of Terms.